Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Fight Bad Habits With Good Habits

If you want to stop a bad habit, start a good habit in place of the bad one.
How often do we try to overcome a bad habit all on our own and eventually just go back to it or replace it with another bad habit? And how much more successful would we be if we asked for God's help and put a good habits in place of bad ones? For example, if I often yell and lose my temper, instead of just trying not to do these things I could add a good habit every time I feel myself getting upset and pray to God to be with me and help me to do what is right.
I heard this idea at Mass on Sunday and it rang true in my heart, like a clear and resounding gong of a church bell calling out to us wherever we may be to remember and think about and adore our God, if not at church, at least in the temple that is our body, in our heart, upon which He has written His law. Anyway, I really wanted to share this because I think it will be very helpful in my life and could be  helpful to others too.
I pray that day by day, we can all spend more time with God, than in the world and with ourselves. That He dwells in our hearts always drawing us closer to Himself. And please, dear God, through Mary's unblemished hands and the Divine Heart of Jesus, help us to overcome all our bad habits and every evil in our lives. Amen.

Here are some more ideas for good habits:
Praying the Rosary
Morning prayer and offering
Evening prayer and Examination of Conscinece
Spiritual reading, especially the Bible
Smiling :)
Praying for the people we see and hear about throughout the day
Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
Confession

Something I've been thinking about:
God wants us to be free from sin, but He also wants us to be free to be who He created us to be and to be in union with Him. So really we should get to know Him and build our relationship with Him while we are here on earth and maybe that is a way for us to have Heaven on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment