Monday, August 13, 2012

Precious Blood



Yesterday my son was baptized and during the mass I saw something that words cannot do justice.
Since my son was being baptized  we were sitting right up front in the first row of seats and during communion some of the precious blood happened to spill on the floor just feet away from us near the Eucharistic minister who had the cup. Having just come back from receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus, I looked up and saw the Precious Blood spilled on the ground and watched as the alter boy cleaned up every little drop with great care and respect. The boy was probably about 10 or 11 years old and he carried himself with a level of goodness and maturity that seemed out of place and uncommon for a boy of his age. As he bent down on the floor, he seemed not to be aware of, or concerned about anyone else in the room. Then as he took some white cloth with a small red cross in the middle and gently pressed it into the floor, it quickly soaked up the blood making a striking contrast of deep purple and white. When he had finished cleaning and made sure there was none left behind, he slowly and carefully folded each cloth and took them away. As I watched him do all of this, my heart beheld an image of our Blessed Mother, Mary and how tenderly and sorrowfully she must have done the same thing for her son when she saw His blood spilled out upon the ground. What a mysterious and beautiful gift we have that the very same blood that  bled from Jesus' most Sacred Heart, as it was lifted high on the cross, is the very same blood that he continues to pour out for us to receive at every Mass. I am so thankful to have seen this with my heart and not just my eyes as i have many times before. I will keep this memory like a precious little jewel and lock it away in my heart. It will be a fragrant reminder of God's love and goodness, much like the holy oil that is still on my son's head that is  reminding me of of his happy baptism. It smells so GOOD! :)

1 comment: